Alexandra Zvi

Alexandra Zvi
Designed by God to design

Sunday 8 July 2012

Making the Cut


Through @Stylecaster on Twitter I discovered, Joy Cicioci’s (www.joycioci.com) laser
cut leather dress in the most amazing neon green colour.

Spring 2012 Joy Cioci

This reminded me, that I’d saved a pretty blue top onto my desktop which also has cutwork as a design feature. I obviously like this look!


This has begun my creative ramblings on the Fashion history of Cutting pattern into fabric. It is not a new thing, take a look at Tudor slashing. 


The fabric did eventually fray unless it was bound
This technique is known as cutwork or Broderie Anglais. 
Edwardian cut work
Machine produced

Time consuming to say the least,  that is until machines took over.  Today, computers have further reduced time and manufacturing costs.   producing both the design and the embroidery. Is this a good thing? Now the answer to that is a whole new blog - another time!

I particularly love the Louis Vuitton oversized
Broderie Anglais collars.
  But what about the laser cut leather how is this done? I’ve noticed over the last 10 years or so, Laser cutting has grown and grown. And no longer do we have the worry of fabric fraying and the need to bind it. The laser cutter cuts and seals at the same time. It's set just a the right temperature to penetrate the material, but not burn it. The intricacy of pattern is breath taking. This is one of those times when technology has been used to enhance and develop fabulously creative and elaborate designs. 

Take a look:

Beautiful laser cut silk for Marchesa
Much to my surprise but pleasure, a blog has been devoted to this very topic, Hence I’m not going to witter on much longer and I shall give you the link instead. Enjoy: http://lasercutfabric.com/blog/

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for a link to our website.

    V.Daskal
    President
    LAsercutfabric.com

    ReplyDelete