Alexandra Zvi

Alexandra Zvi
Designed by God to design

Wednesday 26 December 2012

From Oz to the UK via China


As I write this I’m onboard a flight from China to the UK on the way to NY to carry out my internship at Anna Sui. Ironic Anna Sui is American Chinese. I wander how Asian Anna is in her thinking? I wander if I’ll get to meet get to meet her? If so what will she be like?

This blog has been created to promote my fashion work, yet for now I shall use it as my travel journal. So how was China airlines? Chosen because they were cheap. 

The expression, ‘you get what you pay’ for comes to mind. The Melbourne to China leg had no flight entertainment. Aaagh what was I to do? 9 hours in the middle of the day without a movie to watch, hang on a minute I do have my lap top - oh dear I’ve only got about 4 hours left. So I started watching Chalet girl, a movie I’ve seen too many times already. However the lovely Irish man next to me remembered he’d got movies on his hard drive so he allowed me to download a few movies and TV shows. Thank you Chris from Dublin
Remember me was the first movie of choice. Ok – costumes – I mustn’t forget this is a fashion blog. What about the costumes? They captured the characters – the washed out t-shirts echoed the life of the washed out hope of Tyler, Robert Pattinson’s character. The real star of the show for me was New York. I wander what my neighbourhood will be like for the month. How quickly will it become ‘my neighbourhood’ or is 34 days just not long enough?  Watch this space.


Back to my China Southern Airlines experience. In Melbourne it's summer time – no socks; I ‘ll ask for some plane socks, I have done this with all the other airlines I’ve been on – with NO PROBLEM. Yes I’m entering into BLOCK CAPTIAL Shouting mode, since I was informed I wasn’t in the right class cabin to be allowed a pair. Sorry, the whole cabin wasn’t asking for socks just little old me. What harm would extending human kindness to me cause.
On a positive note the food was good. On entering the airport the cues began. Chinese bureaucracy was very slow. I’ll let you know how the Brits and Americans compare as I encounter them. But the wait at the airport only fueled my dislike of the Chinese.
Eventually I entered the Pullman hotel to be welcomed my a doorman who carried my bag, (my attitude was beginning to change) a beautiful pianist playing peaceful music in the foyer. I descended the escalated to be welcomed by the biggest Christmas tree I’ve ever seen indoors 
(not real LOL) 
and the friendliest receptionist, who upgraded me to a deluxe room. WOW. Now this was more of my type of place. I’ve never had a bathroom en-suite where the side-wall is glass and looks straight out into the bedroom. If I’d wanted close it off there were an electronic blind! But instead I watch TV from the bath relaxing – He Hee.




This is a plus point of my journey; splitting up my trip in a beautiful hotel is rather lovely. Another strange quirk of th China which you probably know already is Face book. Thought I’d check in and update to let you all know how I’m doing. Facebook is banned in China as is Twitter. I made contact via email. That still works!
So now I’m on the last leg back to the UK. On this leg there is in house entertainment and in the wee packs handed out – socks & I’m still the same economy class. Work that one out if you will?


I’ve been designing a wee bit in my fashionary book.  This is a sketch book tailor-made for Fashion designers. It has the outline of the model lightly drawn in dots. I’m not convinced it’s the way forward for me. It’s a bit like coloring-in books. As a child I hated being told what to draw. I prefer coming up with my own template. On a plus note it’s very quick for those thumbnail sketches.
http://fashionary.org/ let me know what you think?



1 comment:

  1. Reach for the sky girl - grab your dreams and wrestle those stubborn suckers into submission. Am so proud of you - Sam -xxx-

    ReplyDelete